Friday, December 31, 2010

Resurgam?

Looking back 2010 hasn't really been a vintage year has it?

Well, no matter. 2011 is just around the corner, full of promise. Even in this new found age of austerity there's much to look forward to, both personally and professionally. New challenges to be met, places to go, people to see.

It's easy to look to the year ahead with trepidation, and I've spent most of the last three days doing just that. this arbitrary date on the calendar looms large for the bereaved, the anxious, the dispossessed, but hope is there to be had, and sometimes we need someone else to point that out for us.

As a political ploy Dave's "Big Society" is a bit of a non-starter-- as a friend of mine quipped yesterday, the difference between the Big Society and the Big Issue is that nobody buys the Big Society-- but the fundamental decency of our fellow men that would underpin it is still there and will, I fervently hope and expect, come to the fore in the months to come. *

So, wherever you are, and whatever your plans for tonight, I hope you give Oh-Ten a splendid send off and Oh-Eleven a roaring welcome. I hope to be back rather more next year, and I look forward to hearing all your news as time unfolds.

We shall, as ever be firmly installed in front of the Hootenanny, and we'll be raising a glass to you and yours, and us and ours.

Cheers to you all, and Happy New Year.

*Woohoo. "Big Society" three times in one sentence! Thesaurus- Schmesaurus say I.

5 comments:

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Happy New Year Dr. Jest!

I am secretly hoping your new years resolution is to write lots of posts!

Anna :o]

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Dr J. I agree with Anna ;) BG Xx

Imogene said...

I gave Oh-Ten a splendid send-off, which is why Oh-Eleven got a whimpering rather than roaring welcome.

HNY Dottore!

Imogene xxx

PS. I'm with Anna and Bendygirl

Anonymous said...

"this arbitrary date on the calendar looms large for the bereaved, the anxious, the dispossessed, but hope is there to be had"

And it is the GPs like yourself that so often provide that hope. The kind word, the reassurance, maybe a referral to another resource. Nothing dramatic, just seemingly little things that make a big difference. I hope that you will have a 2011 full of satisfaction over how much difference you make to people's lives.

Doctor Jest said...

Anna, BG and Imogene-- thank you all so much, and it's o.k. I take the hint. I can't promise to write more, but I'll certainly try. I know I'm happier when I can write so here's hoping...

Anon-- you really are far too kind. For me it's the friends and neighbours and distant relatives who take the time and effort to look after my regulars that give me hope. Along with the patients themselves who often bear with staggering bohommie afflictions that would leave me in the conner whimpering. Thank you for stopping by, and for your kind words.

And to you all, the happiest and healthiest of New Years!